Tuesday 11 January 2011

Sharing Ideas

We had a small meeting about Mary Greg to share some of our initial ideas for the project and get some feed back from others involved. We did a small talk about what we were planning on doing and then using feedback from the group, develop those ideas.
I started out with looking at the hair combs i had found, using these to start of my ideas or recreating objects like the ones found in the collection. I though about being able to make my own copies of the combs to be displayed, perhaps different sizes and styles to be suspended using lacy materials, to tie in with more of the collection involving the dresses we were able to look at also.


My next idea, which i have used as a starting point for something i would prefer to work towards, is using the pin cushions i found in the collections. My initial idea is to create lots of small pin cushions, and using pins, like in the picture below from the collection, draw into them patterns inspired by other items donated by Mary Greg. Also i was thinking of picking out some quotes from the letters and pinning them into the pin cushions as well.

My next idea is to perhaps create a giant sized pin cushion, to play on the idea f scale within the collection, and also to tie into ideas that i had heard from others doing the project of create a doll house theme with in Platt Hall. If i were to create a giant sized pin cushion, i would also use the idea from my first idea, using pins to spell out words and patterns.
Another idea, continuing from this one would be to make my own large scale pins to make the words and patterns instead of using normal pins which would look very tiny again a large scale pin cushion.
My third idea is drawing from the other pin cushion in the picture below, a pin cushion in a shell. To make this my own i thought about using different objects to put my own pin cushions into. Objects such like; tins, other shells, small boxes, anything that can have something places into.

To obtain these objects i would be collecting them from various places, trying to find items that have a bit of a story behind them, as this was something tat Mary Greg was interested in as well. Objects that were hand crafted and had a history.

No comments:

Post a Comment